Mercury is produced by processing the slimes (residue from washing the ore) of the Sulfuric Acid Plant. The Lead Plant produces a small amount of this substance.
Lead Plant, Ust-Kamenogorsk Metallurgical Complex
Preparation of sulfide slurry, cementation of mercury in the vessel (Lead Refinery), chemical and vacuum refining of mercury when wash tower slimes from Acid Plant are treated.
Production output per year:
- barometers and thermometers
- Mercury changes its volume depending on the temperature. It expands at high temperature and compresses at low temperature. Th thermometer operation is based on this principle.
- luminescent lamps
- Electrical discharge in mercury creates ultraviolet irradiation that converts into visible light.
- paint for sea vessels
- Mercury exposed to sea chlorine creates a substance that is toxic to bacteria. This prevents sea microorganisms from attaching themselves to the ship bottom and causing corrosion and wear of metal parts.
- felt hats
- Salts in mercury are good for degreasing the down.
Mercury %, min
fixed residue %, max